Sunday, July 12, 2009

Citrus Sunday


Most Sundays you will find me elbow deep in lemons and limes. Especially in the summer, there is nothing better than lounging on the back porch with a glass of sweet but tart freshly squeezed lemonade. Living in Italy I find that the people waste not and want not! So I use the lemon and lime rinds to create an an amazing potpourri that fills the house with a fresh sweet smell!

First: squeeze the juice of 6 lemons and 2 limes (you can filter or not depending on your preference on pulp).



Second: Make a simple syrup by combining 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water on the stove. Stir until completely dissolved!
Third: Mix 1-2 liters water with juice and add syrup to taste. Everyone likes their lemonade a little different. You may want less water and more syrup depending on how tart or sweet you want it. I usually have syrup left over and stick it in the fridge to add to my tea later. I bottle the lemonade in one liter bottles and put them in the refrigerator as well.



Fourth: Put the rinds into a pot, add water and 1/4 cup olive oil. Make sure water covers rines so they do not burn. From this point you can leave as is or as I like to do, add fresh or dried rosemary. Sometimes I also put in a splash of Vanilla extract. It truly depends on what fragrances you prefer. I have done this with grapefruit and pineapple rinds as well. Leave on the stove at low heat for as long as desired. Make sure to add water if it evaporates!




Cin Cin! Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I love your comments!