Wednesday, July 1, 2009

French press


In European households everywhere you will usually find a French Press. It’s an old fashioned yet superior way to make an amazing cup of coffee. Thought to have been created by a Frenchman in the 1850’s the mechanism consists of a cylindrical beaker equipped with a lid and a "plunger" that fits tightly into the beaker with either a fine wire or type of nylon mesh attached. Coffee is brewed by placing already ground coffee and “almost” boiling water together into the cylinder and leaving it to brew for approximately 4 minutes. Finally, depress the plunger to trap the coffee grounds at the bottom of the beaker. The French press is a filter less brewing method that requires a coarser grind of beans. Finer grounds would seep through the press filter and into the coffee leaving too much sediment in your mouth. Because the coffee grounds remain in direct contact with the brewing water and the grounds are filtered from the water via mesh instead of a paper filter, the French press captures more of the coffee's flavor and essential oils.
I know what you are thinking…I don’t have the time to make, wait and clean this press for a lousy cup of Joe when I can get “the bucks” on the way to or even at the Target I’m on my way to. I KNOW I KNOW…but instead of hurrying off as usual take one slow Saturday morning to read the paper or my blog for that matter and enjoy a nice big cup. It is worth the effort and I bet you will agree better than any cup of Bucks you’re going to get! Bodum makes a very nice, reasonably priced press! Take a pick of SEVERAL different shapes, sizes, designs and colors! I would recommend this ONE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I love your comments!