Monday, February 22, 2010

Asolo





I had the opportunity to surprise my husband with a overnight trip to Asolo this past weekend for our 5th anniversary. I didn't know much about the town except that it had good reviews from friends. Now this little town has now stolen my heart and I cant wait to go back and explore some more.

Asolo is a town and commune in the Veneto Region of Northern Italy. It is known as "The Pearl of province of Treviso", and also as "The City of a Hundred Horizons" for its mountain settings. There is a late 12th century castle that we werent able to visit but it gives us a reason to go back again. From our hotel we had a view fit for a queen. On one side the snow covered Alps and the other rolling hills sprinkled with amazing examples of Italian Architecture. When in town frescos greet you at almost every corner. There are beautiful boutiques on every street to help you spend your money and bakeries and restaurants galore. This small town was always buzzing even on Sunday morning which is unheard of here in Vicenza. We had an amazing dinner and stuffed ourselves with traditional Italian cuisine such as risotto, gnocchetti, filets, cafes and small cookies. In the morning we even had a beautiful breakfast tray brought to our room free of charge. What a place! It is these small towns that overseas travelers are unable to visit as they understandingly push Florence, Rome and the Vatican into 5 day visits. However, since my time here I find that it is these small towns where you will find the true glory of Italy.

1 comment:

  1. The views are WOW. Very romantic. I really hope I can do something similar for my hubby, for our 5th. Happy anniverssary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I love your comments!